Electrowind Earth Friendly Initiatives
Electrowind is doing our part to reduce our carbon footprint with a variety of programs designed to lessen our impact on the environment.
GREEN FLEET MANAGEMENT
Electrowind maintains our own fleet of delivery trucks. In order to lessen the impact of our delivery fleet on the environment, we have converted a portion of our fleet to alternative fuels. We maintain our vehicles regularly to keep them performing at a high level and to ensure optimal performance and low emissions. We also practice ‘idle free’ driving as part of this green initiative.
Our drivers use efficient driving techniques and practice planned routing daily with the help of GPS devices to ensure that they take the most direct route to our customer.
GREEN RECYCLING AND WASTE MANAGEMENT
Electrowind staff members handle, fabricate and ship a large amount of products every day. We have instituted a number of programs to ensure that we do this as efficiently as possible including:
- Reusing shipping containers and materials like boxes, cartons, skids, etc.
- Using reusable plastic cores in place of corrugated cores
- Replacing disposable packaging with recyclable or reusable packaging
- Diverting off-cuts from our fabrication department to customers that can use our scrap pieces, reusing those offcuts as packaging materials or redirecting offcuts into recycling programs
- Picking up your empty wire spools when we deliver new materials. Empty reels are then recycled by the manufacturer
At our two locations we have installed programmable thermostats which are set to save over 2,000 pounds of C02 per year. We use CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lights) in place of fluorescent lighting as the result of an energy audit performed with the support of Ontario Hydro. We have installed low flow toilets to reduce water consumption. We also employ a “turn it off” policy to staff to promote turning off lights, computers and equipment when not in use.
We have improved our building envelope with caulking and weather stripping, with UV reflective window films and reflective window blinds, and we keep our garage doors and entry doors closed when not in use to reduce the amount of energy we use in heating and cooling our plants.
GREEN EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE
Electrowind Fabrication Services run a variety of large machines and equipment on a daily basis. In order to do this efficiently, we schedule regular maintenance checks to ensure that our equipment runs at peak performance at all times.